REVIEW: KING WEST. ST CONDOS

Review: HA_28560 King Toronto Condos by vboihuynh

I’m always looking forward to the amazing projects in the world so that I could rebuild them with Lego. One day, I discovered an interesting article about "BIG's King Street West Condo in Toronto." As I know that King Toronto Condos is a new project of residential condominiums designed by Bjarke Ingels Group often called B.I.G. 

In fact, King Toronto Condos will be a “UNIQUE PROJECT NEVER EVER BEEN BUILD IN TORONTO.” It took me initially a lot of time to put it on a micro-scale. In June 2020, I spent approximately more than three weeks completing the model but from my architectural design perspective, it was not a final perfect model yet in H.A Studio. 

Immediately before getting started, I want you to note that it was built in the Habitat 67 style, heavily influenced by green architecture as well as containing Bjarke Ingels's own design concept. I believe that it will be known as Habitat 2.0.

First Impressions 

First Impressions, I think that it's the power of "friendly design" in green architecture which makes the great of the exterior design in the model. Next, I would say the entry magnet is of critical importance as it should always gently draw people into a non-threatening working and living space by environment and other factors. An attractive entry magnet, coupled with a soft shopping mall, office, and housing complex space is a tremendous design feature in architecture. 

                                                                                                      

Base (38 x26)

Construction begins at the base, as one would expect. The entire model stands on 24 pieces of flat 6 x6 to connect together into the size 38 x26 which counting the border around it, all of which are strapped together by additional plates underneath.

I scaled down the model into the scale of 1:300 with the height of the model is h= 7.1 in/ 180.34 mm, compared to the height of the real building is h= 189 ft / 57.60 m


Build process

There are four existing heritage buildings, which are retained and given a new commercial function. These buildings add to the diverse experience on the ground plane.

First, I considered how to build four existing heritage buildings and I tried to arrange their positions similar to the real model.

From left to right, I have 1st building which is bringing the sand yellow bricks, 2nd one is a glass building with 1 x2 glass brick, 3rd and 4th ones I did with the brown and dark red bricks mainly and some dark green and blue studs for entrance. I placed some green flat tiles 1 x2, 1 x1 as trees or grasses symbolized on the roof of the 1st and 3rd heritage buildings.

When I finished four existing heritage buildings, I needed to think of white bricks with sizes 1 x1, 1 x2, 1 x3, 1 x4, 1 x6, and 2 x2 corner brick. I also mentioned the flat 1 x1, 1 x2, 1 x3, 1 x4, 1 x6, and 2 x2 L-flat. I built the building to the form with the rectangle of a 45-degree grid for opening up views and increase exposure and spaces of the model. It’s never easy to do and maintain it in order to be possible to connect the buildings below so as not to be separated from.





After setting the foundation of the 45-degree grid form, the white bricks and white flats gradually are built up with the roof surface is shaped by 4 peaks and valleys to maximize views and daylight. The glass bricks can be transparent which sparkling and refracting in the daylight and glowing from within at night. Moreover, the lightness and luminosity of the glass brick provide the urban mountain range with the glacial lightness of an iceberg.

I decorated some dark and light grasses with 1 x1 on the roof of the model. Its green reacts to the white and glass elements for creating its majestic beauty and magnificence with green architecture.

Lastly, I am pleased that I was able to achieve a very consistent 1:300 scale across the four buildings on the front side of the model. This is very important to me... In front of the building, I designed the space for a street with tiny trees, a railroad with a Toronto rocket, and create some yellow, red, and black cars.

To be able to feel the vibrancy of the model, we will imagine that we are walking around the beautiful condos, shopping in the existing heritage buildings, and dream we are living there with our family.

Conclusion

Whether you think it is beautiful or garish is also ultimately up to your feeling. I always love architecture in every respect so my feelings and perspectives on design are quite profound. I always enjoy learning design styles and thinking from designers and architects so that I could bring the models into the Lego sets to embodying the identity and relationship between architecture and Lego. 

Here, I approximately used 2,390 Lego pieces to create the King Toronto Condos model. I would say that it was a huge model of my design in 2020. However, in 2021, explored 2,775 Lego pieces of the Tao Zhu Yin Yuan have surpassed the number of Lego pieces of the King Toronto Condos model. In sum, I just generalize and give a rough assessment of it as well. By the way, I want to say that I'm planning to remodel the King Toronto Condos to be a better and perfect final model with Lego bricks in the future.


https://vboidesignstudio.blogspot.com/2021/06/tao-zhu-yin-yuan-tower-taipei-taiwan.html





Comments